Mussels steamed in Corsendonk Agnus
4 persons | 45 minutes
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 vine-ripe tomatoes, cored and roughly chopped
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
1 Corsendonk Agnus
4 lb mussels, debearded and scrubbed clean(1.8 kg)
¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves, lightly packed, roughly chopped, plus additional whole leaves for serving (10 g)
- lime wedge, for serving
- bolillo bread, telera, or cuban sandwich rolls, for serving
- Heat the oil in a large pot over high heat and swirl to evenly coat. Add the onion, garlic, and jalapeño. Cook, stirring, until softened, 4 minutes.
- Add the cumin, coriander, and chili powder. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes, season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until softened and their liquid is almost evaporated, 4 minutes.
- Pour in the beer and bring to a boil.
- Add the mussels, immediately cover the pot, and cook, occasionally shaking the pot, until all mussels are opened, 6 minutes.
- Sprinkle the mussels with the chopped cilantro leaves, then divide among 4 bowls.
- Garnish with whole cilantro leaves and serve the mussels while hot with lime wedges for squeezing and bread for soaking up the cooking broth.